Match Report: Essex Eagles v Yorkshire Vikings


Essex Eagles v Yorkshire Vikings

Royal London Cup
Saturday 14 August, 11am
The Cloudfm County Ground, Chelmsford.


Team News:

Essex Eagles: Alastair Cook, Josh Rymell, Tom Westley (c), Feroze Khushi, Paul Walter, Ryan ten Doeschate, Adam Wheater (wk) Simon Harmer, Aron Nijjar, Jack Plom, Ben Allison.

Yorkshire Vikings: Will Fraine, Harry Duke (wk), William Luxton, Gary Ballance (c), George Hill, Jonathan Tattersall, Matthew Revis, Dom Bess, Matthew Waite, Mathew Pillans, Ben Coad.

Match Details:

Umpires: Michael Burns & Billy Taylor
Toss: Essex Eagles, who elected to bat
Result: Essex Eagles win by 129 runs

Scorecard: View Here

Match Highlights

Match Reaction: Josh Rymell

Match Report

Josh Rymell struck the first century of his senior career as Essex Eagles beat Yorkshire Vikings by 129 runs in the Royal London Cup play-off tie at Chelmsford to earn a semi-final place with Glamorgan at Sophia Gardens on Monday.

Chasing a challenging total of 317 for 7, Yorkshire Vikings were never in the hunt after losing half their side for 88 runs before succumbing to 188 all out in 38.4 overs, with Jack Plom taking three wickets and the Essex spin trio of Simon Harmer, Aron Nijjar and Tom Westley claiming the remaining 7 wickets between them.

Rymell batted magnificently as the Yorkshire attack was put to the sword by the 20 year-old opener. The latest Essex Academy Alumni, playing only his sixth List A match, Rymell drove, cut and carved with aplomb, displaying a maturity in shot-selection and performance despite his inexperience.

Rymell was given a life on 36 when Dom Bess spilled a chance off the bowling of George Hill but the young batsman was to ensure the visitors were made to pay heavily for the error.

The Academy graduate arrived at his half-century from 78 balls and only needed a further 37 balls to reach his hundred. A knock that included 1 six and 12 fours.

After 30 overs, the home side were 123 for 3 but the innings stepped through the gears with Rymell in the driving seat. He and Paul Walter added 68 in 9.4 overs before the latter was caught off a leading edge for a run-a-ball 33. Adam Wheater then joined Rymell to add a further 68 in 6.4 overs until the Essex wicket-keeper was caught at cover to leave his side 263 for 6 with a little more than 4 overs remaining.

Three balls later Rymell’s influential contribution of 121 ended when he was bowled attempting to cut Hill, but Harmer and Nijjar continued the frenetic tempo. The lower-order pair added 50 runs in 22 balls as the innings closed having seen the addition of 194 runs from the last 20 overs.

In reply, the visitors lost Harry Duke early on for 4, but Will Fraine and Will Luxton helped themselves to 28 runs from two overs from pacemen Ben Allison and Jack Plom to raise the Tykes hopes.

However, the introduction of Harmer and Nijjar proved significant. In seven overs, they shared four wickets at a cost of 20 runs to leave Yorkshire reeling on 88 for 5.

Harmer ended the second wicket partnership of 63 when he had Fraine caught at long-on for 31 and then had George Hill caught at mid-on whilst Nijjar trapped Luxton in the crease for 34 and then bowled Jonny Tattersall.

Essex skipper Westley introduced himself into the spin attack and struck in his second over, trapping opposite number Gary Ballance in front of his stumps. Dom Bess fell shortly afterwards when he cut to backward point as Yorkshire recoiled to 125 for 7.

Matt Revis and Matt Waite added a note of respectability to the score with 46 for the eighth wicket before both departed in nine balls. Revis walked back to the pavilion with a top-score of 42 and his partner, Wait, returned to the hutch for a quickfire 31 to give Westley a third wicket in the game.

Ben Coad was the final wicket to fall, claiming a two-ball duck to give Jack Plom his third scalp and a trip to Cardiff for a Semi-Final encounter against Glamorgan this Monday. Essex Eagles are now just one victory away from a first List A Final since 2008.